Setting up a Polycom SoundPoint 550
Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
Before following the steps below please make sure your phone has been factory reset. Follow the steps in this link to factory reset and make sure that the BootROM Software version is 5.0.8.0935 or above. Use a web browser to navigate to the IP address of the phone with a url such as https://192.168.2.122. Make sure to login as admin. The default admin password after factory reset is 456. The firmware version is found right on the Home page of the phone and it will look like the image below. Make sure the phone device has access to the Internet either via a DHCP assignment or manual gateway setup.
Step 1: upgrade phone to latest software from Polycom
- From the Utilities menu select Software Upgrade
- Click ‘Check for Updates’ button
- select the latest version in green at the bottom of the list
- Click the ‘Install’ button
- the phone will reboot
Step 2: Setup dialing rules for the phone, also know as Digitmap
Polycom defines a digitmap as the dialing rules which are allowed for outbound dialing from the device. The default factory settings will not allow direct dialing/transferring to extensions starting with 1.
- From the settings menu select SIP
- In the digitmap text box remove the existing string and replace with ‘[2-9]11|0T|011xxx.T|[0-1][2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxT|**x.T|+x.T|[1-8]xxT’. only copy the string between ” marks.
- In the Digitmap Teimout field remove the existing string ans replace with ‘3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3’. Again, only copy the string between ” marks.
- Leave all other fields unchanged
- Note that the fields changed will require a phone reboot
- Click the ‘Save button’ which will restart the phone.
Step 3: Set Date & Time
- From the preferences menu select Date & Time
- Under the ‘display format’ section setup as needed
- Under the ‘Time Synchronization’ set ‘Use TCP SNTP Server’ to ‘Yes’
- Set ‘TCP SNTP Server’ & SNTP Server to one of the drop down options per field.
- Set ‘TCP Time Zone’ and ‘Time Zone’ to one of the drop down options per field.
- Under the ‘Daylight Savings’ section setup as needed
- Click save
- The time display on the phone will stop blinking and will be set to configured settings.
Step 4: Setup Extension on InfoFlo Talk
- From Settings menu select Lines
- Identification section should be filled out as per example below. Note that 101 represents the users extension as assigned by InfoFlo Talk. ‘Authentication Password’ field must be the strong password setup in the given extension. The ‘Label’ field will be what is displayed on the phone as line 1. Keep this label short to make sure its fully displayed.
- Outbound Proxy and Server 1 sections should be filled out as example below. Note that customer.infofloftalk.com is the InfoFlo Talk host name as supplied to InfoFlo Talk admin.
- All other options should remain unchanged
- Click ‘Save’ button.
- The extension will register and extension label will be displayed on top left of phone interface.
Setting up a TFTP server (advanced setup)
Advanced users can setup a local TFTP (Trivial FTP) server to allow phone to download latest ROM during factory reset. This step is recommended for customers looking to initialize a lot of phones quickly.
The TFTP server can be downloaded from here and the Polycom ROM package can be downloaded from here. Unzip the Polycom package to your local drive and then install the TFTP server on the same machine. Launch the TFTP server and click File -> Configure. Set the directory to the path where the Polycom package was extracted. On the security tab select “Transmit and Receive files” and click OK.
After factory resetting the phone, it will reboot and display a countdown with an option to press “Setup”. Click “Setup” and configure the Provisioning Server to be the IP address of the TFTP server. Save and Exit the setup which will force the phone to reboot again. On startup it will attempt to download the latest ROM from the TFTP server and then install it to the phone.
Make sure there are no firewall restrictions for the server running the TFTP server so that it can be accessible by the phone.